Thursday, October 9, 2008

Race for a Cure weekend

Photobucket
It was AWESOME!!! Our team raised $15,800! We won the top donations for a team. Believe in Boobs in 1st place hahaha we rocked!! We will all get plaques for our awesome job as a team.
Photobucket
My shoe :laugh:
Photobucket
I drove up on Friday. I had a ton of stuff to do. I met my friend Shantel, her friend Shawna and her mom Carol for dinner and we put together goodie bags. It was wonderful to see her again. We knew each other when we were little girls from the motorcycle races. She is now in treatment for Breast Cancer and just turned 32yrs old 2 weeks ago. She had 5 radiation treatments before we did the Race for a Cure event. She and her family are the reason we won top team. They mad very generous contributions to our team in Shantel's honor!

Our morning on Saturday started at 5am. My mom, cousin, Michele and I stayed in a hotel near our meeting place so there was no 45min to hour drive. :-) We got up had a small bite to eat and then headed to my friend Shantel's house. That was our meeting place. They rented a bus limo for us to ride in to downtown. It was amazing...and we took lots of photos inside. It was very nice of them.

Here is a pic of our team
Photobucket
Then we got down town after a few detours with traffic and blocked roads. There was only 3 of us doing the 5K...Michele (my cousin), Connie (my friend) and me...so we met at the start and started our run. I was sooooo excited. I felt ready to take on the world! The start was insane with that many people. I felt like a sardine. :-) Once everyone spaced out it was much nicer. I did not run the entire race. I walked some...much more then I planned. But I finished in 41 mins. So now I have a goal for my next one. ;-)
After the race they had a survivor ceremony. It was very emotional and inspiring. They had all the women fighting or who survived the disease go around the bases at the baseball stadium. So it was all pink shirts and hat on the field. The number of women out there was just shocking. I cried!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Shantel was our reason this weekend. She is truly an amazing person! Please keep her in your continued prayers as she endures treatments and fatigue that will happen in the coming weeks.
We had lunch after leaving the closing ceremonies. One of the waiters, said we had the "best damn mission statement ever" :laugh:
Our MISSION!!! Save the Boobies
Photobucket
AND we did just that! :-)
Later that night I went out and had a girls night out with my two cousins, Michele and Whitney. In honor of our weekend and our cousin bond...we got 'Believe' tattoos and had lots of fun.
Cousins
before the race...
Photobucket
before our night out..
Photobucket
Sunday I spent most of the day with my brother, Robbie and Ashely at his house. He hurt his hand at the Pro challenge in Tyler, TX. He ended up dislocating a bone in the hand and fractured the head of the bone. But they said he can race still if he wants or feel like he can. BUT he decided it would be best to get a cast and let it heal.
Photobucket
I guess that is my weekend in a nut shell! HAHA Thanks to everyone for the support! I highly recommend you supporting this great event and jump in and participate in it!! I did and can't wait for my next one.


***an update to that last statement....I am signed up to do the Dallas Race for a Cure on Oct. 18th. Yes another 5K..man I better start losing some weight..haha! I also plan on doing the one in Ft. Worth which is typically held in April. So check out my site and feel free to make a donation. It is tax deductible and a wonderful cause.
www.komen-dallas.org/goto/cherie

I will tell you about Dan's camping trip with the kids later!

1 comments:

Danielle said...

Congrats on the Race..That is awesome. It looks like you all had a great time. Was that Louis Gonzalez from WHS? He graduated with my brother. How do you know them? We need to get together soon.